You can keep those spooky gremlins from taking over your car with regular, preventive auto care by the Millsboro auto care specialists at In and Out Tires. Have a happy Halloween and don’t forget to turn your clocks back an hour before you go to bed tonight.
It’s Halloween and, because the kids aren’t going trick or treating thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, you’re planning on a day of other kinds of spooky fun. That is, you’re planning on treating the kids to lots of Halloween adventures if the gremlins don’t possess your car and turn it into an evil car monster. If that happens, it’s time to call the trusted Millsboro auto care technicians at In and Out Tires for help. They can banish those car gremlins to the trash heap.
Rather than wait for problems, it’s much easier to make sure they don’t have a chance to occur. You can do that with regular, preventive auto care. Preventive care is important all year round, but it’s especially important when the weather turns cold. As the nonprofit Car Care Council says, “The last thing any driver needs is a vehicle that breaks down in cold, harsh winter weather.”
The council recommends that car owners follow its Fall Car Care Month checklist and inspect their vehicles – or have their car inspected – before the temperatures drop and severe weather hits.
The Car Care Council fall car care checklist:
Heating, Wipers & Lights
- Make sure heaters, defrosters and wipers work properly.
- Consider winter wiper blades and use cold-weather washer fluid. As a general rule, wiper blades should be replaced every six months.
- Check to see that all exterior and interior lights work and headlights are properly aimed.
Tires & Brakes
- Check the tire tread depth and tire pressure of all tires, including the spare. If snow and ice are a problem in your area, consider special tires designed to grip slick roads.
- During winter, tire pressure should be checked weekly.
- Have the brakes checked. The braking system is the vehicle’s most important safety item.
Gas, Oil & Filters
- Keep your gas tank at least half full throughout the cold weather to prevent moisture from forming in gas lines and possibly freezing.
- Be diligent about changing the oil and filter at recommended intervals. Dirty oil can spell trouble in winter. Consider changing to “winter weight” oil if you live in a cold climate.
- Check the fuel, air and transmission filters at the same time.
System Checks – Charging, Cooling & Exhaust
- Have the battery and charging system checked, as cold weather is hard on batteries.
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system. As a rule of thumb, this should be done every two years.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be especially dangerous during cold weather driving when windows are closed.
Pack the Essentials
- Make sure that your ice scraper and snow brush are accessible and ready to use.
- Stock an emergency kit with jumper cables, a flashlight, blankets, extra clothes, bottled water, nonperishable food and a first aid kit with any needed medication.
“Winter magnifies existing problems like hard starts, sluggish performance and rough idling, so a little car care now is a sensible way to avoid being stranded out in the cold later,” says Nathan Perrine, executive director, Car Care Council.” Whether you perform the inspection and maintenance yourself or go to a trusted repair shop, it’s a small investment of time and money to help avoid the cost and hassle of a breakdown during the cold winter months ahead.”
You can find a trusted Millsboro auto repair shop and auto care gurus at In and Out Tires.
In and Out Tire Pros is a local, family owned auto care and auto repair service center that Bill and Rita Schrider have built into the top, trusted auto repair, auto care, and auto accessories service center in Millsboro. We are dedicated to giving you the very best auto repair and auto care service, with a focus on upfront and honest quotes, timely response to issues, and quality products and parts.
Millsboro Auto Care | Millsboro Auto Repair | Millsboro Auto Maintenance | In and Out Tire Pros
#MillsboroAutoCare #MillsboroAutoRepair #InandOutTirePros #MillsboroAutoMaintenance