Can you repair worn or damaged tires or do you have to replace them?
You were getting ready to load your clubs after 18 holes at Baywood Greens when you noticed the tread on your tires is worn. The last thing you want to do right now is buy four new tires. You’re wondering if they can be repaired rather than replaced.
That depends, tire manufacturer Continental says.
“The law in most countries has a strict definition as to the classification of repair materials, and the number of repairs permitted on a single tire. Regulations like these are necessary to ensure safety for all road users,” Continental says.
According to Continental, it’s not okay to repair a tire when:
- The tread depth is lower than the 1.6 mm (about .05 inch) legal limit;
- The structural integrity of the tire has been compromised or there is run flat damage;
- The rubber is cracked, worn, or deteriorated;
- There’s damage caused by an external object;
- The cords are exposed;
- There’s any sign of faulty repairs made in the past.
- The precise location of the puncture is also a deciding factor. The rules stipulate that tire repairs must stay within the central three-quarters of the tread, known as the “minor repair area.”
- Moreover, if the size of the puncture is more than or equal to 6 mm (about 1/5 of an inch) in diameter, a repair isn’t permitted at all. Drivers have no other alternative than to invest in a brand-new tire.
If you’re unsure whether your tires can be repaired or must be replaced, consult a Millsboro tire specialist like the certified tire pros at In and Out Tires. They can help you decide what’s best for you, your car, your wallet and your safety. If you decide to repair your tire, In and Out Tires can do the work. Or, if you decide to buy new tires, In and Out carries all brands, sizes, and style of tire to fit any vehicle or driving need.
In and Out Tire Pros is a local, family owned auto care and auto repair service center that Bill and Rita Schrider have built into the top, trusted auto repair, auto care, and auto accessories service center in Millsboro. We are dedicated to giving you the very best auto repair and auto care service, with a focus on upfront and honest quotes, timely response to issues, and quality products and parts.
Millsboro Auto Care | Millsboro Auto Repair | Millsboro Tires | In and Out Tire Pros
#MillsboroAutoCare #MillsboroAutoRepair #InandOutTirePros #MillsboroTires